Area of expertise
- Finance and Capital Markets,
Richard Sjøqvist is head of BAHR’s Finance practice group and his broad practice includes syndicated lending and acquisition finance, bond issues, restructuring and insolvency. He also chairs the firm’s Restructuring Group. Before joining BAHR, Richard was in-house counsel at leading Nordic bank DNB (formerly DnB NOR), where he headed the bank’s legal debt capital and restructuring team, whose remit included shipping, aviation, property, financial institutions and industrial enterprise. Richard has been involved in several high-profile restructurings in recent years, and has also been in charge of some of the firm’s largest financial transaction instructions. Richard and the firm’s Banking and Restructuring Group have been awarded top rankings by publications such as the IFLR, Legal 500 and Chambers.
As department head, Richard Sjøqvist is considered a top practitioner by peers and clients alike, with one source acknowledging him as "absolutely a market leader for this kind of work" and another describing him as "very constructive, pragmatic and pleasant to work with." He is renowned for his expertise in financial restructurings and is particularly sought after by bondholders.
- 2006 - present - Partner, BAHR
- 2001 - 2005 - Attorney and Head of corporate finance, Legal department, DnB NOR Bank ASA
- 1999 - 2001 - Group Corporate Secretary, DnB Holding ASA (DnB NOR ASA)
- 1995 - 1999 - Attorney and Head of corporate finance, Legal department , Den norske Bank ASA
- 1994 - Attorney, Sinclair Roche & Temperley (England)
- 1989 - 1993 - Associate and attorney, Den norske Bank ASA
- 1989 - LL.M., University of Exeter, England
- 1987 - Cand. jur, University of Oslo